[Talk-GB] Use of OS OpenData in OSM

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 19 23:37:19 BST 2010

Hi Folks,
Given all of the talk on the osm-talk mailing list about the possibility of
losing data if we move to the new licence, I started to wonder just how
widespread OS OpenData use is in OSM.  I couldn't find a visualisation, so I
made one this evening which is visible at
http://www.maps.webhop.net/osm_opendata/.   Not all zoom levels are rendered
yet - it could easily take most of tomorrow to finish the higher zoom
levels.

The way I have detected the OS derived data is very crude - basically if
'source' or 'source:name' matches %os%, the element gets highlighted in
blue.  This means that tags relating to out of copyright OS maps might also
be highlighted (I see some 'OS7' tags).

Anyway, I thought you might be interested in seeing how widespread the use
is - I was very surprised that at low zoom levels, the UK (or rather GB) is
covered in blue, but if you zoom in enough you can start to see which towns
are 'old mapping' and which contain a lot of tracing from StreetView.

I'm not sure what to do with this now - I will work out some statistics for
how much of the OSM data includes OS opendata.   If anyone can think of a
use for it now that I have the database imported, please let me know!

Graham.

--
Dr. Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK