[Talk-GB] Use of OS OpenData in OSM

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 22 17:22:58 BST 2010

I agree with what Kevin said earlier - that the OS OpenData is too good a
resource to ignore, so from my perspective the acceptability of any new
licence depends on making sure that the OS OpenData derived data stays in
the OSM database (either by persuading ourselves that the new licence is
compatible with the OS licence, or coming to some agreement with OS).

If that is not the case I can see us ending up with a few different
OpenStreetMaps - the new licence one (with extra data removed), a UK one
with OS OpenData, an Austrailian one with NearMap data etc.....which would
be a mess!

Graham.

On 22 July 2010 16:50, Jon Stockill <lists at stockill.net> wrote:

> Kevin Peat wrote:
>
> In 6 months time the OS data will be so entrenched in the UK map that we
>> could never strip it out in any useful way without vast amounts of fixup
>> being required and I can't imagine many people being interested in doing
>> that. So for me at least whatever license we change to must be OS
>> compatible.
>>

> The area around me is starting to get quite blue too - I've been adding
> buildings from streetview, then going out to survey for addresses. If the
> buildings get removed it'd better be done in a way that preserves the
> address data, or we lose the results of a lot of surveying.
>
> Jon

Dr. Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK
email: grahamjones139 at gmail.com