[Talk-GB] Bristol - a quick (and surprising?) statistic...

Tim François sk1ppy14 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 23 09:05:48 BST 2010

List,
Another day, another wannabe hawking his mad mashup skillz! I'll keep it brief...
So, I recently moved from Bath to Bristol. Looking at the map, I thought Bristol was relatively complete. Last night I ran a few passes over Bristol using oslVosm, and here's a shocker (?):
37% of the roads in OS Locator do not appear in OSM. That is, they are either missing in OSM, OSM has the roads spelt differently, or the roads in OSM are missing names altogether. (There's a total of 9378 roads in OSL for Bristol for those wanting to know some actual figures. So that's 3440 roads in OSL not in OSM).
More info here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Tiiiim#Bristol_-_Missing_Roads
Perhaps the figure won't be surprising to many, but I thought it was pretty large! Is this representative of other similar sized cities/towns? (I know OSL isn't 'perfect', but its better than nothing....)
That wiki page includes links to GPX files of the 'missing' roads which can be loaded into JOSM for use with the StreetView background or a GPSr for surveying on foot, for those wanting to use it in Bristol.
Anyway, just some thoughts for those interested!!
Tim