[Talk-GB] rendering locks

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Mon Mar 1 15:25:39 GMT 2010

Steve Chilton wrote:
> Have submitted mapnik patches to SVN to render locks but unfortunately there isn't a standard way of tagging that makes it easy to be comprehensive.
> I have dealt with what I think are the two most logical options, which are:
>
> two nodes with waterway=lock_gate at either end of a way tagged waterway=canal;lock=yes
>
> and
>
> single node with waterway=lock OR lock=yes (with lock-gates not mapped)
>
> This seems to fit with http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lock
>
> There are other variants in place (and I haven't look too hard).
> For instance at Tardebigge
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.31229&lon=-2.03814&zoom=17&layers=0B00FTF
> there is  a variant to the east of Upper Gambolds bridge that has an extra node for the lock which will throw the submitted rendering.

I tag those in my area as a line, to include the lock_name with two
POI's for the lock gates each of which has a distinguishing lock_ref
such as 10 Upper & Lower

Not sure what advantage mapping as an area has. In my experience locks
are the narrowest stretches of a canal.

> Does anyone want to try to help me to get a simplified schema that will cover most options and allow sensible rendering?
> Yes, I know there are variants like lock pounds, and multiple locks whose top gate is the bottom of the next, etc.

Is there a beginners guide to this on the wiki?

> I could go round changing any instances I find that don't match the two options above but would like any interested parties' thoughts first off.
>
> PS: deliberately not tried to render locks before because of inability to render icons (eg a traditional lock arrow) at the angle of the way they are on. So have used a round icon for the moment. Any thoughts on that welcome too.

Doesn't the Tardebigge you give overcome this problem?