[Talk-GB] Looking for places to map?

Steve Doerr steve.doerr at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 12:34:45 GMT 2010

On 23/02/2010 15:02, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:

 > Worth noting that the old parish boundaries are shown well on the ooc
1:25k
 > mapping. Of course we have major gaps in these maps currently but...
all in
 > good time. Except where boundaries have been moved to meet changes in
 > landuse, especially where towns and cities have expanded, the current
local
 > authority boundaries often still follow historical parish boundary lines.
 >
 > Incidentally I have ooc 1:25k sheets for Maidstone and Chatham which
I'll be
 > uploading this week.

Thanks. Begin an impatient bugger, I've leapt right in and traced the
boundary of the (former) civil parish of Chatham from the 1:25k series
map you've loaded. However, I wasn't confident enough to create it as a
boundary relation, so at the moment it's a single (closed) way tagged as

place = town
place_name = Chatham
source = OS1:25k

See <http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/51504682>.

Incidentally, one can now define at least two other units:

     Gillingham is that part of Medway district that lies to the east of
the Chatham boundary.
     Rochester is (arguably) that part of Medway district that lies to
the west of the Chatham boundary but to the east of the River Medway.

Strood is more complicated, as the former town of Strood is not the
whole of Medway district west of the River Medway (and arguably is just
part of Rochester). Not to be confused with the former Strood Rural
District, which didn't include Strood (it was the villages *around*
Strood). And, indeed, some would prefer to separate Rainham from
Gillingham as defined above.

--
Steve