[Talk-GB] Kent County Council Highways Gazetteer

Steve Doerr steve.doerr at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 09:32:40 GMT 2010

On 03/01/2010 11:36, Colin Smale wrote:
> While searching the internet for arbitration in a case where "local
> wisdom" appeared to conflict with OSM data I came across the Kent County
> Council Highways Gazetteer. It contains a "complete" list of roads in
> Kent, including their reference, road number, name, official
> classification, parish and length.
>
> It's a PDF file, linked from here:
> http://www.kent.gov.uk/roads_and_transport/transport_policies/road_status/adopted_and_private_streets.aspx
>
> I would like to use this document to classify minor roads correctly as
> "unclassified" or "tertiary", add the official road number, at least to
> the "tertiary" roads, i.e. C-roads, and possibly "access=permissive"
> where the road is a privately maintained road (assuming unhindered
> access etc. as described on the Wiki).

A couple of questions about C-roads...

Is there a consensus about how these should be treated? Given that they
are not a 'public-facing' classification (never appear on road signs or
on any map you would buy from W. H. Smith's), I'm not sure we want the
standard renderings cluttered up with them, do we? Should we invent a
tag such as ref:internal (say) for these?

Secondly, am I right in thinking that these are not unique references
like the A- and B-roads? (Unique within the UK, that is.) In other
words, whereas Wrotham Road near me is 'the A227', nearby Coldharbour
Road is not 'the C364', it's just one of many C364s, albeit the only one
in Kent? Should this be reflected in the tagging? I see in the States
they use network=US:[state]:[county] to tag county roads.

--
Steve