[Talk-GB] Kent County Council Highways Gazetteer

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 4 10:26:42 GMT 2010

On 04/03/2010 11:15, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 04/03/10 09:51, Trevor Hook wrote:
>

>> C roads are marked as yellow on OS landranger maps.
>>
> I don't believe that's true. IIRC the key on such maps claims that the
> colouring is determined by the width of the road not any internal local
> government classification of it.
>

>> No idea whether c-class road references are nationally unique. It seems
>> both plausible and implausible at the same time.
>>
> I don't believe they are - in fact each authority has it's own numbering
> scheme for such roads. Some just use Cxxx, some use Cxxx and Dxxx, some
> use Uxxx and so on.

At the top of the KCC Gazetteer it says:
National Convention for Road Numbering:
`U' stands for `Unclassified'
`P' stands for `Private Street'

So it appears there is a national convention, implying that authorities
are not obliged to follow it. It might exist as a formal document, but
it might be just a de facto convention. Uxxx appears to mean explicitly
"unclassified" whereas a Cxxx or Dxxx road is not unclassified - it's a
C-road or a D-road.

Colin