[Talk-GB] Pronouncing numbers of UK roads

Fri Mar 5 16:54:14 GMT 2010

Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> ['oh' versus 'zero']
> I agree that it's kind of wrong, but it is what is generally used in
> road numbers, probably because it saves a syllable.

And because it can't be mistaken for 'seven'.

A few local ones:
A3400 => A three four-hundred
A6003 => A six double-oh three
A4095 => A four oh nine five
B4009 => B four double-oh nine
B4100 => B four one-hundred
B4437 => B four four three seven
B480 => B four eighty
B4455 => "the Fosse"

I've heard the A444 described as both the 'A four four four' and the 'A
treble-four'. The latter seems to be idiomatic usage around Burton.

And don't forget Britain's only six-digit road number, the A417419...

cheers
Richard