[Talk-GB] National Cycle Network - filling the gaps

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Mon Mar 8 15:23:35 GMT 2010

On 8 March 2010 14:46, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Gregory wrote:
>
>> On 8 March 2010 02:23, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
>>> - *To complete the C2C*: Forest section near Keswick - the one gap in
>>> our coverage of the NCN's most popular route!
>>>
>> The end of the mapped route is marked on the ground by some blood and
>> ambulance track marks.
>
> That sounds awfully familiar. My C2C attempt ended in a similar heap
> of blood and gristle at the bottom of a hill where I'd spotted the
> signpost too late.
>
> One of the reasons to improve OSM's NCN coverage is that future
> cyclists can be warned in good time by the map on their Garmin, rather
> than having to squint for a little blue sign. :)
>
> cheers
> Richard

Not a lot of use when the route goes through yet another gap that's
not big enough for your bike, and you have to leap off, and go through
sideways, holding your bike over you head yet  again, (This happens
several times on NCN1 in Medway.... (and I'm not that fat really!) and
that's when the route has not yet again taken some scenic diversion
yet again around some bush....

No help from any Garmin is going to help you follow and actual get
along NCN1 (at about this point you give up and cycle along the A2
(Which in this case has quite a nice cycle track along the side.)

Peter.