[Talk-GB] rendering locks

Al Girling acgirling at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 16:49:05 GMT 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 12:32:59PM GMT, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Steve Chilton wrote:
> > two nodes with waterway=lock_gate at either end of a way tagged
> > waterway=canal;lock=yes
> >	 and
> > single node with waterway=lock OR lock=yes (with lock-gates not
> > mapped)
>
> These are definitely sensible. (I have a preference for the latter on
> the UK canal system.)

I use the first of these two options and include name and ref too.  It
could easily be argued that length and width tags should be added as few
locks conform to a standard size and you clearly need to know if you'd
like to take your sixty foot narrowboat on a waterway that has locks
only forty foot long.

> I think in time we may need to map some locks as areas, though in
> Britain there aren't that many big enough to justify the treatment.
> Eastham Lock certainly is!

Agreed, while not perhaps not as common in the UK, the locks on, say,
the Rhine, Danube or Panama Canal are the size of several football
pitches, so an area is far more logical.

Al