[Talk-GB] Questions about highway classification

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 11:29:50 GMT 2010

I'm currently trying to form a sort of consensus as to the best way of
defining the classes of highway in the US, and a bit of information
about the UK would help. I know about the definitions used
(trunk=primary route network, primary=A roads, secondary=B roads), and
have a few questions.
*Is the tagging of motorway through secondary reasonably complete and
accurate, such that OSM can be used to get a feeling of how dense the
classes are and how they interrelate?
*What's the difference between a motorway and a non-motorway built to
motorway standards? I thought it was the ability to ban non-motorized
vehicles, but apparently this can be done on non-motorways. Has it
become simply a political distinction?
*Are there criteria that the Highways Agency uses to define the
primary route network (more specific than the general purpose of
connecting major destinations) and the difference between an A road
and a B road? Or are changes handled on a case-by-case basis?
Thank you for any information.