[Talk-GB] Footpath numbering

Bob Hawkins bobhawkins at waitrose.com
Wed Mar 17 08:52:25 GMT 2010

Footpaths and bridleways are numbered on definitive maps but rarely on signposts or waymarks.  Often numbered on a parish or community basis (HA10, for example), their use appears to be for legal puposes mainly, rather than as an aid to navigation.  Having said that, my local Chiltern Society footpath map is annotated with the definitve numbers.  So, I wonder what OSM mappers in GB feel about adding the official numbers to such ways.  I suspect copyright is an issue because the rights of way numbers will invariably be on maps based upon the Ordnance Survey, unless anyone knows that they are available from another source.