[Talk-GB] Footpath numbering

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 09:03:11 GMT 2010

Bob Hawkins wrote:
> Footpaths and bridleways are numbered on definitive maps but rarely on
> signposts or waymarks.  Often numbered on a parish or community basis
> (HA10, for example), their use appears to be for legal puposes mainly,
> rather than as an aid to navigation.  Having said that, my local
> /Chiltern Society/ footpath map is annotated with the definitve
> numbers.  So, I wonder what OSM mappers in GB feel about adding the
> official numbers to such ways.  I suspect copyright is an issue because
> the rights of way numbers will invariably be on maps based upon the
> Ordnance Survey, unless anyone knows that they are available from
> another source.

I find them very regularly numbered in my home area of South London, and
I have also seen them explicitly numbered on some of the more frequented
trails in a national park (I cannot remember which, probably the Peak
District though).

Where the source is a signpost, I'd say include the number, I'd err on
the side of caution and not source from a map, but I'd also be happy to
source footpath numbers from the written definitive description of the
right of way, which should be available from the council.

I have put a little effort into finding and mapping the footpaths in my
home borough, when the council numbered the signs, I didn't quite get
around to mapping them all though...
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Sutton_England/PROWs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grandedgemaster/3386460488/