[Talk-GB] High speed rail link

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Mar 17 14:18:47 GMT 2010

On 12 Mar 2010, at 18:21, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> On Fri, March 12, 2010 18:13, Nicholas Barnes wrote:
>
>> As somebody who'll be affected by the new High Speed Rail Link
>> (http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/highspeedrail/), I thought it
>> may be
>> useful to map the proposed changes.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I haven't the first clue where to start.
>
> Somebody already made a KML file, using OpenStreetMap data:
>
>   http://bit.ly/cAdu76
>
> but that does not inlcude the Birmingham spur, and, judging by some
> of the
> anles, is only an outline.

That 'someone' was me and a couple of us have been working on it
adding detail to the map over the past 24 hours including the spur and
station boundaries.

It is a 'wiki map' so others are also free to edit it however ....
the UMapper site has none of the required social tools to moderate
changes, not even a list of who has changed it and when, no roll back
and no transaction locking - for that reason I am now intending to
lock it down to a list of trusted editors in 24 hours time.

Check out the Route section of the High Speed 2 Wikipedia article for
links to viewing the KML on Google Maps etc. Also add your name to the
talk page if you want to be a 'trusted editor'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_2#Route

I would love to see a way of creating overlays like this using
Potlatch which is far cleverer than UMapper's editor. Such an overlay
does not belong in OSM, but needs to be 'on' OSM.

Regards,

Peter