[Talk-GB] [Talk-transit] NaPTAN - Time for the rest?

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 17 21:08:39 GMT 2010

On 17 March 2010 00:09, Mark Williams <mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> All the ferries too! This beats several of the commercial maps, my car
> still refuses to believe in the
> Southampton-Cowes *fairy*!

It only opens it's wings and flies when your car is sleeping.

Yes, a lot of routes can be surveyed based on the bus stops. But it is one
of those things that should only be done by local knowledge, as sometimes
they go strange ways for unknown reasons (such as certain residents getting
annoyed).

I just noticed a problem with the render (although a tricky one to fix).
Where two routes share the road, but one only goes one way, the arrows are
not shown.
Here http://www.öpnvkarte.de/?zoom=16&lat=51.42521&lon=-0.3781&layers=BT<http://www.xn--pnvkarte-m4a.de/?zoom=16&lat=51.42521&lon=-0.3781&layers=BT>the
R70 comes from the East on Broad Lane and turns North to join the
111(going North/South). The R70 does a large loop (which is not shown when
it is still with the 111), before getting back on Broad LAne in the West and
crossing the 111 path to head back on the East section of Broad Lane.
FWIW: Yesterday I updated part of the loop section where the R70 and 111
briefly separate. After The Avenue someone said the buses go left but they
actually both go right. The 111 turns up Nightinggale Avenue, but the R70
goes to the end of Acacia Road, does a sharp left U turn, and passes 3 more
stops than the 111. The Nightingale Road (only the 111 stops there) stop
would probably confuse anyone without local knowledge and they might even
wrongly move it around the corner of Hanworth Road (NaPTAN inaccuracy?).
It's possible a driver was being naughty or got lost and went the way the
route relation is mapped.

I'll be able to add (or at least start) a few more London bus routes when I
get my computer (and JOSM) working again. I'm not there to survey it, but I
have enough local knowledge and know the buses too well.

Oh, that also get's me thinking. What about routes that are occasionally
extended? I wouldn't like the extension to show up with it being clear it is
infrequent? Or should I just trust people to look up the timetables (or use
a timetable & OSM mash up serivce that is going to be created).

--
Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com
http://www.livingwithdragons.com