[Talk-GB] London Underground roundel

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Mar 25 14:01:09 GMT 2010

On 25/03/2010 13:36, Thomas Wood wrote:
> Wow, good work. I suppose this will start a flood of localisation
> requests for other metro systems, this will probably be a good thing -
> it'll force our mapnik localisation to be made better! (maybe I could
> target it as a GSoC project for myself...)

As long as there is a consistent tag to base it on (e.g. operator) it
should be very straightforward (he says, never having looked at the
code!)- but in implementation it must be very similar to
amnenity=place_of_worship subdividing by religion=christian church icons
and religion=islamic mosque icons. I think it's the bureaucracy that is
the harder issue.

The other question is where do we stop? Do we brand petrol (gas)
stations (I quite like that)? Cafe chains like Starbucks (perhaps too
much like advertising, but then knowing on the map that a roadside cafe
is a Little Chef lets you actively avoid it :-))? Shops with brand=...?
Also, some logos just don't work at all that small.

David