[Talk-GB] Announce: OpenOS

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 15:04:41 GMT 2010

Im still working on my 'bulk_implopping' essay. :-)

But in the mean time, i like that idea. And can we take that a step
further and make a WMS tile server feed from this data?

All of the CanVec data from natural Resources Canada will be available
as .osm files AND its already available as a WMS layer.
So we could certainly load the data to this 'clearing house' we also
have GeoBase water data that is slightly better than canvec water, but
we do the conversion ourselves.
We have tonnes of other data from Stats Canada and geogratis that
should also be available.

I also support the idea to make .gpx files out of all the data and
host that in the 'osm-imports-house' so then from josm, people will be
able to (with a separate option) download local import data & another
for local gpx  tracks. (which is a poor mans WMS pritty map)

if the OS licence permits 'tracing' in the same way we trace images,
then a WMS layer is a perfect fit :-)

Sam