[Talk-GB] OSM shortlinks problem

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 29 10:52:55 BST 2010

Forwarding to dev as requested.
I think it has been noticed already, it can also break in applications such
as twitter. But is anything going to be changed?

I understand avoiding the ending character from being non-alphanumeric(not
letters or numbers) would mean a serious rewrite of how the shortlinks are
made/decoded. How much longer would short links be if all digits were
alphanumeric only?

Also the code is public so people can create these themselves or decode
them, has anyone actually done that?

On 29 March 2010 02:34, Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:

> One for devs really but I'm not on the list. Perhaps someone could pass
> this on?
>
> I've noticed that the osm.org shortlinks ending with a dash "-" often
> don't work in emails. The dash gets missed off from the link. In my area, at
> least, this seems to move the centre slightly and switch from zoom level 17
> to 18.
>
> For example this:
> http://osm.org/go/euut_VcMR-
>
> Gets interpreted as this:
> http://osm.org/go/euut_VcMR
>
> Is there any chance the shortlinks could avoid ending in a punctuation
> mark?
>
> Regards,
> Tom
>
> --