[Talk-GB] OSM shortlinks problem

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Mar 29 13:52:52 BST 2010

On 29 March 2010 11:09, Jonathan Bennett <openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk>wrote:

> On 29/03/2010 10:52, Gregory wrote:
> > I understand avoiding the ending character from being
> > non-alphanumeric(not letters or numbers) would mean a serious rewrite of
> > how the shortlinks are made/decoded. How much longer would short links
> > be if all digits were alphanumeric only?
>
> It's also allowed behaviour. '-' is a valid URI character, so any user
> agent that chops them off the end of a URI is broken. I realise that
> doesn't help the people using them, but it would be better to fix the
> problem in the correct place.

If you have any particular powers over Google and Microsoft... :-)

As mentioned, I can and do use a different URL shortener for now, but it is
a UI element right there on the home page that will lead to people sending
around broken links. That can't be good.

If geohashes or some other system can be implemented - tinyurl, bit.ly etc.
doesn't seem to use punctuation marks - that would be great.

Best,
Tom