[Talk-GB] State of play of OS Vector data

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at googlemail.com
Sun May 2 13:49:55 BST 2010

Hi Chris,
That is a really good summary of what the dataset contains thank you - the
woodland areas will certainly be useful for countryside maps.

Do you know how this data compares to the Meridian data that OS released
last month?  I know many people were unimpressed with it, but I think that
it contained street names didn't it?   If so maybe that would be a more
useful 'first pass' import?

I am thinking of some areas where I know there are housing estates, but I
have neither the time nor inclination to cycle around them to do a proper
survey -  Having something in the map for these seems better than nothing to
me.

If we were to import such data (via an editor as discussed before - not a
bulk import!), we could tag it as 'verified=no' and get the renderers to
show them in a lighter colour until someone checks it and takes the
'verified=no' tag off?   This could alleviate the concerns that people had
that users will not survey an area if it looks complete on the map?

Regards

Graham.

On 2 May 2010 13:14, Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:

> Seventy 7 wrote:
> > Can someone tell us what's happening with the latest release of OS data
> please? When streetview came out there were quite a few emails about tiles
> being rendered for tracing etc but this time it's all been very quiet!
> >
> > I presume someone somewhere is doing the vector data, but what about the
> others?
> >
> I've just written a blog about VectorMap http://is.gd/bQUgR
>
> Cheers, Chris

Dr. Graham Jones