[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey Street View tiles.

Micah lists at j12.org
Mon May 3 08:31:51 BST 2010

I have welcomed the release of Ordnance Survey open data especially Street
View.  I would have liked them to release Mastermap and Address Layer 2, but
keeping within realms of likelihood good so far.

I posted about it at:
http://blog.j12.org/2010/04/some-ordnance-survey-royal-mail-data-is-freed/

I used the OSM Word Press plug-in to display example of
The Ordnance Survey 'Street View' tiles served up from OSM servers.

I did it with this code in my post:

[osm_map long="-1.51" lat="53.82" control="scaleline,scale" zoom="15"
width="500" height="450" extmap_type="OSM" extmap_name="UK_OS_StreetView_Map"
extmap_address="http://c.os.openstreetmap.org/sv/${z}/${x}/${y}.png"
extmap_init="numZoomLevels: 17, transitionEffect: 'resize', sphericalMercator:
true" type="ext"]

I have put 'Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right
2010' with link to license underneath map but I would like to replace 'Data by
CC By-CC by OpenStreetMap' within map itself. The author of plugin says future
version may have this ability.

http://www.faktor.cc/Fotomobil/wp-osm-plugin-forum

I intend also to look into directly embed Ordnance Survey Street View
in Wordpress blog using the OS Open Space API
http://openspace.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/openspace/
which uses original tiles.

I have similerly used the wordpress pluging to display the Surrey Aerial
Photos:
http://blog.j12.org/2010/05/surrey-aerial-photo/

I did it with this code in my post:

[osm_map long="-0.59" lat="lat=51.24" control="scaleline,scale" zoom="15"
width="500" height="450" extmap_type="OSM" extmap_name="Surrey_Aerial_Photo"
extmap_address="http://gravitystorm.dev.openstreetmap.org/surrey/${z}/${x}/${y}.png"
extmap_init="numZoomLevels: 21, transitionEffect: 'resize', sphericalMercator:
true" type="ext"]

I got OS Street View as layer in JOSM with custom WMS layer but found can be a
bit unreliable in a minority of sessions. I think it will be very useful but I
myself still intend to usealong with visits using GPS traces & local
knowledge. It can be useful prompt to fill in gaps. In area there a quite a
few branches of short road that are so short almost private drives in feel
when going on them. I did go up them with GPS but felt odd doing to. Somehow
the GPS did not record and was never sure when I would get round to doing them
again so I just have added them from Street View. I may add a few principal
building outlines of building I know, as in many cases seem just as good as
Aerial photos. & good to compare combinations.

The coastal high tide mark seems quite accurate from where I followed path
that was just above it, and is much better then what had at that stretch at
the moment. Streams & outlines of woods seem pretty good from where I
intesected them or followed them with GPS. And in cases I have looked better
then the NPE traces have at moment, which I see not reason not to realign
where obviously much better.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ordnance_Survey_Opendata#OS_StreetView

regards,

Micah