[Talk-GB] National Byway cycle route

Sat May 8 12:19:58 BST 2010

On 08/05/2010 12:08, Sam Vekemans wrote:
> +101 for rendering it brown, so its different than NCN, RCN, LCN
> I can use it&  promote it for the 'Trans Canada Trail' as a 'exact
> definition' as a "leasure route" with 'cycling being 1 activity, but
> not designated for that 1 activity'&  mountain biking / road cycling /
> hiking / ATV /canoeing /motercycle /dogsled differences are 'purposly
> blured'
> -the actual activities are signposted. And the ways would very,
> depending on the ground truths.

Thinking a bit further:

At present we have three types of rendered cycle route: NCN, RCN and LCN.

Really, the National Byway is a fourth category: a leisure/touring
route. There are lots of these in OSM at the moment, but generally
tagged as LCN (for example, the Four Castles Cycle Route in
Monmouthshire, or a number around Cheshire). This is pretty
unsatisfactory, as Local Cycle Networks are generally utility commuter
routes.

So my suggestion would be that we choose a new relation tag for this
type of route. It's not a 'network' as such, so that doesn't work. But
you could perhaps do 'route=leisure' and 'bicycle=designated' or
something, for those who like 'designated'. Then renderers like OCM can
treat this as they wish.

cheers
Richard