[Talk-GB] Fw: Definitive Paths Map Source

Ian Spencer ianmspencer at gmail.com
Tue May 11 14:58:55 BST 2010

I talk to a number of officers on various matters and my take is that
Solihull Council, if they could ever get the manpower (half a footpath
officer can't do much) they'd be more than happy to release their data -
we tried doing stuff on TPO trees and the only restriction was technical
ability (i.e. they new how to press the screen print button). I would
assume (there I go again) that Councils would not be interested in
retaining rights - they are fulfilling a legal obligation to compile the
data; and with appropriate guidance from government, they'd quite
happily release anything that needed releasing, and the obvious way to
provide the data is via the OS.

Anyway, no point hassling Whitehall this week, but it seems that with a
case for release that is in the public interest (and the validation of
the definitive map seems a no brainer to me), then it could be done.
However, I'd guess the real sticking point would be that this could
undermine the mapping business.

Ian