[Talk-GB] building shapes from OS Street View

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Mon May 24 12:48:45 BST 2010

On 24 May 2010 11:16, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:

> Once this gets going we can produce a 'buildings noname' map for people to
> go
> out and verify the position and street address of buildings.

I didn't think anyone was suggesting this be done on any kind of expansive
area. It shouldn't be done beyond a mappers 'territory' or 'reach'.

For example I am starting a process where I trace a few blocks of buildings,
go out and map them (might be 2-4 trips worth) and then when I've
edited/uploaded that area I begin tracing again. This helps people see that
mapping is happening in the area, there is probably no point getting house
numbers for the buildings because I may be out surveying them already,
instead trace some more buildings. Example: http://osm.org/go/euuOoSiY

With such a tool as is being described I could trace more buildings, but I
would still restrict this to what I expect to survey in a month or two.
(longer than that and I might have moved home and abandon mapping the area,
or mapping tactic/direction might change)

--
Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com
http://www.livingwithdragons.com