[Talk-GB] Private roads that are private for maintenance but are publicly accessible

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Wed May 26 13:38:41 BST 2010

On 26 May 2010 12:12, Ian Spencer <ianmspencer at gmail.com> wrote:

> but it is public access - they have
> never tried to restrict public access, nor is the "private" sign
> anything other than a statement that the road is private, it does not
> say, for example :Private, no entry". As far as any user is concerned,
> they can treat it as a normal road.

Just because it doesn't have a gate/barrier (would be annoying for
residents) doesn't mean they are happy for everyone to be using the road.
Similar to work that doesn't say "Copyright xxx" you still have to check to
see if your allowed to copy it.

In my experience if the road isn't a dead end then it the surface is either
cobbles or not cracked/potholed tarmac/concrete so it avoids people using it
as a shortcut and making the road busy.

I would like to expand on the tagging of gates, to know if they are usually
left open/closed and unlocked/locked, are people using the status tag for
that?
One example I saw yesterday is a road entrance which has no access and a
door that is kept shut/locked, but next to it is a pedestrian door that is
kept open for access to the road. Some new residential roads have closed
gates, but actually there is no lock on them so you can go in and survey it,
others the gates are left open and sometimes have plants holding them open.

--
Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com
http://www.livingwithdragons.com