[Talk-GB] Gates (was: Private roads...)

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Fri May 28 13:52:49 BST 2010

It's not just about access
For routing (or manually planning a getaway) you want to know if you will be
slowed down by having to open a shut gate (very slow in a car because you
have to stop twice) or it is locked and you need to have a key (or
break/pick the lock).

I forgot about the barrier-entrance, I thought this was for a gap in a fence
though.
I think some people map open gates and so it's good to specify to
avoid confusion.

On 28 May 2010 12:39, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:

> Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at ...> writes:
>
> >If it's open then it's barrier=entrance (with access tags indicating
> >if it's impassable or locked for some users). If it's shut it's
> >barrier=gate.
>
> Ah, so a lot of the gates I have tagged as barrier=gate should really have
> been barrier=entrance.
>
> >It only gets more complicated than that if it's open for some users,
> >and shut for others. Then you need two separate ways with a
> >barrier=entrance on one and a barrier=gate on the other.
>
> Really?  Would it not be sufficient to put the barrier=gate on the main way
> and add a pedestrian 'shortcut' with no barrier?
>
> --
> Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>

Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com