[Talk-GB] Fwd: Map layer with OS Locator comparison from ITO - apostrophes

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Fri Nov 5 10:54:32 GMT 2010

Kevin Peat <kevin at ...> writes:

><http://oscompare.raggedred.net/?zoom=15&lat=50.72407&lon=-3.52609&layers=B0TF>
>Three-quarters of the differences reported here are in the presence or absence
>of a single apostrophe.  This masks the more important discrepancies and makes
>the report less useful.

>Ed - I think specifically for Exeter as there are only 118 total differences if
>the OS names are added where we don't have a name at all and any obvious typos
>fixed then what is left (max 50?) could easily be surveyed in a couple of
>trips.

Sure (if you accept that the street sign put up by the council is more
authoritative than the Ordnance Survey's database, which actually I doubt).

However, given only an hour or two to survey Exeter this weekend I would prefer
to concentrate on more important things than missing apostrophes.  Others have
different priorities, of course.

For my own use I would prefer to see a report that flagged only the real
differences in name, ignoring punctuation.  I expect some other mappers would
feel the same - while others might still prefer to flag every difference in name,
no matter how small.

The ITO report is also useful for armchair mapping, adding names to roads that
lack them or fixing obvious and definite typos or spelling errors (but only when
you can be 100% sure the OSM data is a spelling mistake).  Here too the
punctuation-only differences tend to crowd out the more important and more
easily fixable mismatches.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>