[Talk-GB] Footpath reference numbers

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Nov 8 17:15:24 GMT 2010

Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> I do this already to some extent but the only problem is that the
> comments are linked to the path's OSM ID. Obviously if the path is
> split, or deleted and redrawn, the OSM ID then becomes invalidated
> so it's tricky to ensure that comments remain associated with the
> correct footpath.

The OSM ID might change, but the real-world path won't.

So instead, you could simply reference the path with two lat/long pairs and
maybe some other information: "from (a,b) to (c,d) of type 'footway'". From
that, you can reasonably easily work out which way(s) are meant. You'd
obviously need to be slightly 'fuzzy' about it, so that it could still make
a best guess if/when the start/end nodes were moved slightly, or the path
retagged somehow, or whatever.

This would be a really useful piece of code to have available.

cheers
Richard