[Talk-GB] New Freemap!

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Nov 11 20:40:12 GMT 2010

Hi,

The "OSM for walkers" site Freemap now has a new home on the Swansea University Computer Society tile server... thanks to Chris Jones for the offer of space!

The site is still very basic at the moment, basically a slippy map and nothing else - though I'm aiming to add extra features when time permits (see the "Footpath reference numbers" thread).

I'm playing around with rendering styles at the moment. What I want to show is two layers: a bottom layer for the underlying path type (track, path, service etc) and a transparent upper layer indicating the access rights. This is working to some extent already: public footpaths are green, bridleways are brown, byways red, permissive footpaths cyan and permissive bridleways orange.

You can still access it at http://www.free-map.org.uk/ (you'll be automatically redirected). It might be a bit slow for the moment as many tiles haven't been rendered yet. Any comments on rendering style and improvements are welcome.

Nick