[Talk-GB] oslVosm, OpenData Locator 2010 data and not:name

Tim Francois sk1ppy14 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 3 17:47:54 BST 2010

All,

   1. If there are any heroes left using
oslVosm<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OslVosm> [1]
   to compare OSM data with OS Locator data, I've just updated the script a
   little so that it now honours the not:name tags. Any highways which include
   a not:name tag are automatically assumed to be 100% correct in OSM, whatever
   OSL says, and are ignored in any further comparisons. This assumption may
   have to be reviewed at a later date...
   2. Anyone else using/noticed that the Locator data has been stealthily
   'updated'? I remember Robert writing something about it a while back, but
   can't remember the conversation. In Bristol, a load of roads seem to have
   disappeared, whilst some more have been added. All in all, there were about
   10 more roads than in the '2009' release. Anyone else notice differences?
   3. not:name. Are many people using it? Is it working? And are these being
   sent back to OS? The reason I added it to oslVosm is that it seems to be
   being used here in Bristol, so it is useful for 'accurate' numbers.

For those that may not be aware, oslVosm is a script which compares OSM data
against OS Locator data, and can output a gpx, kml or wiki file of any
discrepancies. It also tries to do some spell checking if it finds similar
names. It is primarily aimed at people with a programming tilt, as it only
works from the command line (and probably only in Linux). For those who want
an easy to use interface, use Robert's excellent Musical Chairs [2] web
interface or ITOs slippy map layer in Potlatch or JOSM [3].

Cheers
Tim

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OslVosm
[2] http://ris.dev.openstreetmap.org/oslmusicalchairs/map and