[Talk-GB] UK Bike Shop dataset obtained: please merge in locations in your area

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 12 21:40:54 BST 2010

On 12/10/2010 20:49, Chris Fleming wrote:

> Quick question on this what are poeple doing with this data in cases
> where a shop is showing correctly in the list and is on the ground but
> isn't really a bike shop?
>
> The example I found is TISO:
> http://shaunmcdonald.dev.openstreetmap.org/bike-shop-locator/shop/2549
>
> Which is an outdoor shop, but you would be disappointed if you turned up
> looking for an inner tube.

I presume that's on the list because that is where the Alpine Bikes head
office is (Alpine Bikes are owned by Tiso). And presumably where their
mail order service / warehouse is based.

So I think it should be marked as "not found on the ground", because
there's no actual bike shop at that location. Plus add a note to explain
this.
You could also tag it as something like office=bicycle, as suggested
elsewhere in this thread.

I know that Alpine Bikes do have bike shops within Tiso shops in Glasgow
and Inverness (which should be mapped as shop=bicycle), but I don't
think that's the case in Leith.