[Talk-GB] UK Bike Shop dataset obtained: please merge in locations in your area

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Tue Oct 12 21:49:59 BST 2010

  On 12/10/10 21:40, Craig Wallace wrote:
> On 12/10/2010 20:49, Chris Fleming wrote:
>>
>> Quick question on this what are poeple doing with this data in cases
>> where a shop is showing correctly in the list and is on the ground but
>> isn't really a bike shop?
>>
>> The example I found is TISO:
>> http://shaunmcdonald.dev.openstreetmap.org/bike-shop-locator/shop/2549
>>
>> Which is an outdoor shop, but you would be disappointed if you turned up
>> looking for an inner tube.
>
> I presume that's on the list because that is where the Alpine Bikes
> head office is (Alpine Bikes are owned by Tiso). And presumably where
> their mail order service / warehouse is based.
>
> So I think it should be marked as "not found on the ground", because
> there's no actual bike shop at that location. Plus add a note to
> explain this.
> You could also tag it as something like office=bicycle, as suggested
> elsewhere in this thread.
>
> I know that Alpine Bikes do have bike shops within Tiso shops in
> Glasgow and Inverness (which should be mapped as shop=bicycle), but I
> don't think that's the case in Leith.

I was just looking at the Tiso website and noticed they had a link to
Alpine Bikes, so that makes sense. Interesting google maps incorrectly
show an alpine bikes in that area.

I would tend to agree that there aren't bikes in that store, so I've
added Tiso to the map in that location as an outdoor shop and marked as
not found in this location.

Cheers
Chris

e: me at chrisfleming.org