[Talk-GB] SotM 2011 UK? Setting up a GB OSMF chapter?

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 24 18:15:37 BST 2010

When the SotM 2011 venue bids were coming in, it seemed likely it would
finally leave Europe. I heard some chatter that maybe it would make sense to
hold a national/continent conference (like there is SotM US). Who is in
support of that? What sort of numbers do you think it would attract?

You all know I love Durham. But I actually think it would be really good to
hold a national event in North East England. It is a section that isn't so
strong (like Birmingham, London, Manchester) in map-coverage and
contributors/users. Durham and Newcastle are on the East Coast Main Line
(London Kings Cross to Edinburgh, and direct trains from the West). Other
nearby cities that could be interesting are
Sunderland, Middlesbrough/Stockton, Darlington, Hartlepool. I would see if
some of the other active mappers would help with local organisation.

But then this summer we never made a GB chapter of the OSM Foundation.
Should we be focusing on that instead?

I hope the mapping passion isn't sliding away from the UK.

--
Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com
http://www.livingwithdragons.com