[Talk-GB] NaPTAN station codes

osm at edwardbetts.com osm at edwardbetts.com
Sun Oct 24 20:26:52 BST 2010

We're importing the location of bus stops from NaPTAN, can we also load the
NaPTAN codes for railway stations?

All the GB railway stations are in OSM, but they're just identified by name.
For example my local station:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/492098581

It is tagged like this:

name: Nailsea and Backwell
railway: station
source: GPX + NPE

The name is fragile thing to link on, somebody might change the 'and' to '&'.

I'd like to add the NaPTAN code to every station, using the same tag as bus
stops, 'naptan:AtcoCode'. For example Nailsea and Backwell would be tagged
like this:

naptan:AtcoCode: 9100NAILSEA

In NaPTAN all railway stations codes start with 9100.

http://data.gov.uk/dataset/nptdr

The recently released National Public Transport Data Repository (NPTDR) uses
NaPTAN codes to refer to bus stops and stations. Making it easy to match NPTDR
data with railway stations in OSM would be a good thing.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NaPTAN says the dataset is Crown copyright
but we have special permission to load it into OSM as CC-BY-SA. Would that
include adding the NaPTAN codes to railway stations? Would this bulk import
have to be done by the NaPTAN user, or would it be okay for me to use my
account to load the data? http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/NaPTAN

--
Edward.