[Talk-GB] Visualising speed limits

Andy Street mail at andystreet.me.uk
Sat Oct 30 01:04:44 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 21:22 +0100, thomas van der veen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently started mapping in South Hampshire and enjoying it, great
> fun.

Hello Thomas, welcome to OSM. It's always nice to hear of new mappers in
my neck of the woods. :o)

> I started adding some maxspeed tags to some roads as sometime the type
> (primary, secondary, tertiary) doesn't always match the actual speed
> limit of the road in question I noticed. Or sometime the speed limit
> changes for certain stretches of road. To make this a bit easier I
> thought that having a map (no pun intended ;) where I can see based on
> the colour of the road what speed limit has been set in the database
> (either implicit or explicit) . That way I can could easily tell where
> it is incorrect and fix it.
>
> Has someone actually done something like this already? Or does someone
> would like to join me and making a custom version of a map renderer
> that can do this? should be relative simple, just looking for a couple
> of tags and assign a colour accordingly. I have started looking at the
> Perl SVG converter (couldn't get any of the XSLT converter produce
> proper SVG), but it is a big beast.

As others have said there are a number of maxspeed maps already. The
best one I've found that covers this area is:

	http://maxspeed.osm.lab.rfc822.org/

Unfortunately I don't think it was designed to work with "mph" units and
is therefore quite difficult to distinguish between different speeds
until you've zoomed in a lot.

I've produced a similar map for the Hampshire rights of way network
( http://hants.openstreetmap.org.uk/ ) so if I get some spare time this
weekend I might have a go at creating a maxspeed version.

Cheers,

Andy