[Talk-GB] OS Opendata & the new license/CT

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Sep 8 14:04:53 BST 2010

Dave F. wrote:
> I'm trying to understand the new license & Contributor Terms and
> how they stand when compared specifically with OS OpenData.
>
> I'm after *facts* about the re-license as they're worded at the moment.

Blimey, can't imagine that catching on.

Trying to be as dispassionate as possible:

1. The compatibility of the ODbL and the Contributor Terms with OS OpenData
is debated on two counts: whether ODbL allows people to release a Produced
Work without the required attribution, and whether the Contributor Terms
allows OSMF to relicence data without the required attribution.

2. The Licensing Working Group has asked its Proper Lawyer to review this.

3. The Licensing Working Group has not yet reported whether the Proper
Lawyer says yes or no.

I _think_ the above three statements are fairly accurate and
uncontroversial, but knowing this place I'm sure someone will take issue
with one or other of them. :|

cheers
Richard