[Talk-GB] Dorset/Wilts county boundary wrong...is there adefinitive source?

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 16:13:59 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Emilie Laffray <emilie.laffray at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 8 September 2010 15:08, 80n <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I should qualify my sweeping statement about OS datasets being compatible
>> with OSM.  They are if you are an old contributor.  They are *not* if you
>> signed up after 12th May, because Ordnance Survey's license is incompatible
>> with the new Contributor Terms.
>>
>> So if you are a new contributor, too bad.
>>

> To the best of my knowledge, legal counsel has not yet stated so, as the
> LWG has approached legal counsel on that particular topic. So until we have
> something whether negative or positive, the point you are making is pretty
> much moot.

That doesn't give new contributors the right to contribute OS datasets to
OSM.  It is accepted practice here to avoid infringing copyright and to be
cautious. On that basis new contributors are best advised not to use OS
datasets.  When you have an opinion, positive or negative, from Wilson
Sonsini then new contributors can be advised accordingly.

Let's take this to legal@ if you have more to add.

80n