[Talk-GB] Volo TV in FGW trains with OpenStreetMap data

Craig Loftus craigloftus+osm at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 12 13:52:02 BST 2010

> Contrary to reports at [1] and [2], the moving map display is not free to use (or: is no longer free to use)

I think this must be the latter, as I'm sure I used it for free and
not as part of a trial.

I had similar gripes to your own, with a few more: my biggest gripe
was at how useless it was compared with how useful it could be. With a
little investment from FGW to get the stations along the route mapped
fully in OSM and a few tweaks to the renderer they could point to
things like the nearest bus station, taxi rank, parking etc for each
station. Instead what you get is an airline style moving dot on a map.

Its seems to me that rather than it being a key feature of the
platform it got onto the spec. as a "what else can we do" or "wouldn't
it be neat"... so I wouldn't expect to see it improve.

For comparison, I understand that stations along the Esk Valley Line
(closer to a twig than a branch line) are developing station based
local info/walking maps partly based on OSM. Not quite as high-profile
but a more interesting use IMO.

Craig