[Talk-GB] Volo TV in FGW trains with OpenStreetMap data

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 12 16:55:41 BST 2010

Hi,
Who is working on walking maps around the Esk Valley?  I could help as long
it is the one I know in North Yorkshire.

Graham

from my phone

On Sep 12, 2010 1:52 PM, "Craig Loftus"
<craigloftus+osm at googlemail.com<craigloftus%2Bosm at googlemail.com>>
wrote:

> Contrary to reports at [1] and [2], the moving map display is not free to
use (or: is no longer fr...
I think this must be the latter, as I'm sure I used it for free and
not as part of a trial.

I had similar gripes to your own, with a few more: my biggest gripe
was at how useless it was compared with how useful it could be. With a
little investment from FGW to get the stations along the route mapped
fully in OSM and a few tweaks to the renderer they could point to
things like the nearest bus station, taxi rank, parking etc for each
station. Instead what you get is an airline style moving dot on a map.

Its seems to me that rather than it being a key feature of the
platform it got onto the spec. as a "what else can we do" or "wouldn't
it be neat"... so I wouldn't expect to see it improve.

For comparison, I understand that stations along the Esk Valley Line
(closer to a twig than a branch line) are developing station based
local info/walking maps partly based on OSM. Not quite as high-profile
but a more interesting use IMO.

Craig

On 12 September 2010 09:23, Tim Francois <sk1ppy14 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote: >
List, > I remember reading...