[Talk-GB] UK Bike Shop dataset obtained: please merge in locations in your area

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Wed Sep 15 11:45:48 BST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, September 15, 2010 11:27 am, Graham Stewart wrote:

> The documentation at
> http://www.cyclestreets.net/blog/2010/04/05/add-point-of-interest/
> suggests that bike shops should always be added as nodes. Is that the
> case?
>
> For example I'd previously added the Evans Cycles at the Metrocentre
> (near Newcastle) as a building (closed way).
> Tags: building=yes, name=Evans Cycles, shop=bicycle
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=54.9563944617016&lon=-1.67584697130855&zoom=16&layers=C
>
> I note that this doesn't seem to show on the Cycle Map renderer.

A node or a closed way should both work. If a closed way does not work,
then that bit of software ideally needs to be updated.

> Also, any objections if I post this up the link on a popular cycling
> site (SingletrackWorld) we might get a bit of help from them and recruit
> some new members at the same time.

Feel free to do so. It has already got a mention on the BikeBiz news site:
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/32850/Bike-shops-urged-to-check-they-exist

Any suggestions for improvement are also welcome.

Shaun