[Talk-GB] OS Opendata & the new license/CT

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 08:33:06 BST 2010

Ed Avis wrote:
>> 2. I've seen some people insisting we attribute any such
>> >tracings/imports with the appropriate source=* tag. Why?
> It seems a bit daft to me too, but the idea is that OS wish to be attributed
> whenever their data is used.  (Don't get me wrong, I think tracking the origin
> of data is great, but much better to do it at a per-changeset level rather than
> with duplicate tags on every single object.)

The problem with a per-changeset tag is that it can't easily be followed if
there are subsequent edits to parts of the resulting data. While XML data
structure may seem like a good idea, it is total bloat when it comes to the
volume of data in OSM. Numeric flags for a lot of core data would remove one
hell of a lot of duplication ... and can quite easily be returned as full XML
when required.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL