[Talk-GB] UK Bike Shop dataset obtained: please merge in locations in your area

Martin Lucas-Smith - CycleStreets list-osm-talk-gb at cyclestreets.net
Mon Sep 20 11:30:06 BST 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Martin Lucas-Smith - CycleStreets wrote:

> http://www.cyclestreets.net/blog/2010/09/10/get-all-uk-bike-shops-in-osm/
>
> Andy Allan and Shaun McDonald have created a webapp for the specific
> purpose of merging (manually) this data into OSM.
>
> http://shaunmcdonald.dev.openstreetmap.org/bike-shop-locator/
>
> Effectively it has a map of locations not yet reconciled, i.e. a
> checklist. Click on each location, and you'll then have a direct link to
> the relevant bit of OSM where the shop can be added/updated/removed using
> personal knowledge. Once that's done, it can be ticked off back in the
> webapp.

The new Bike Hub iPhone app, which includes a bike shop finder has just
gone live*, so there is even more reason now to get the remaining locations
into OSM.

At present the data received by the app is coming from a local copy of the
ACT data held on the CycleStreets server and exposed through our places.xml
API. However, I am very keen to reroute this internally to using OSM
proper, as soon as most of the shops are in OSM.

So please do go to:

http://shaunmcdonald.dev.openstreetmap.org/bike-shop-locator/

and merge in the remaining data or check off ones that are already in OSM.

Shaun has made some further usability improvements to the webapp which
makes the steps required clearer.

Martin

* See this guest post:
http://www.cyclestreets.net/blog/2010/09/20/bike-hub-app/
(our own CycleStreets app is imminent, by the way!)