[Talk-GB] Distinguishing between RCN and LCN

Fri Sep 24 13:30:03 BST 2010

Hi all,

There seems to be a bit of confusion on which cycle routes are tagged
as RCN (Regional) and which as LCN (Local).

I think, at first, the idea was that the three tags would correspond
to the three types of numbered routes in the UK: NCN for the National
Cycle Network (white numbers on red, allocated nationally), RCN for
Regional Routes (white numbers on blue, allocated per county), LCN for
local routes (colours vary).

But in practice it's never quite that easy.

- Some routes of an equivalent standard to two-digit white-on-blue
Regional Routes elsewhere are marked with different colouring (e.g.
white-on-green in Gwynedd) or numbers (e.g. single digits in the
Sperrins, Northern Ireland).
- Some routes do have a Regional Route number, but it isn't used on
the signs much (Yorkshire Dales Cycleway) or at all (Rutland Water
Circular Route).
- And, anyway, Sustrans is bringing former Regional Routes into the
National numbering scheme, often with three-digit numbers.

So with the gradual demise of the 'official' Regional Route scheme,
I'd suggest we formalise what seems to be largely (but not always)
accepted practice:

- NCN (network=ncn, or ncn_ref=*) is used for the National Cycle
Network - signposted as white numbers on red.
- RCN (network=rcn, or rcn_ref=*) is used for routes and networks of
county/regional scope. For example, the Yorkshire Dales Cycleway, the
Sperrins network, and existing Regional Routes (until they become NCN).
- LCN (network=lcn, or lcn_ref=*) is used for routes and networks of
city/town scope. For example, the numbered networks within London,
Worcester, Oxford; and the unnumbered but coherent network within
Cambridge.

Any thoughts?

cheers
Richard