[Talk-GB] Historical Mapping in OSM

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Mon Sep 27 12:02:15 BST 2010

  On 26/09/2010 23:47, Richard Palmer wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> 	I'm involved in a project looking at the history of a street in London
> 	(The Strand). One of things we'd like to do is produce a 'animated' map
> 	showing the changes along it from the C18th onwards. I've had a go at
> 	adding some attributes to OSM for building dates and then generated
> 	different tiles for layers each century, (quick demo up at:

Is this what we should be using OSM for? For me OSM is for *current*
data (I've been deleting any demolished buildings).

This project sounds great, but should be set up as a separate entity.
The database would become far to cluttered otherwise.

I've an abandoned railway in my area where sections of it are now
invisible having been completely leveled & used as agricultural land.
Someone's tagged these as railway=abandoned. I don't think they should.

Dave F.