[Talk-GB] Historical Mapping in OSM

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 12:20:07 BST 2010

In my opinion historical data is definitely an important part of OSM.

Yes it will get cluttered, but better tools will deal with that when it
becomes a problem.

Short term chronological data is beneficial anyway.  For future events, new
roads etc, they can be surveyed and added ahead of their official opening.
And a record of recently demolished buildings etc is important otherwise
there's a risk that they get re-added by someone tracing without up-to-date
local knowledge.

And if we have to accommodate recent events, past and future, then it should
be equally possible to accommodate distant past events.

80n