[Talk-GB] What's the best way of mapping/tagging...

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sat Apr 2 13:23:04 BST 2011

On 02/04/2011 09:08, Kev js1982 wrote:
> Cycling to work this week I have come across a more direct way to
> town, but also a road which I am not sure how to map properly in OSM.
>
> At the moment the whole street is mapped as highway=pedestrial with
> lcn=yes - but in reality it's not that simple.
>
> The road used to be the main road into the city centre from Trent
> Bridge but has now been pedestrianised (the following images might
> help you understand my comments)
>
> Google Street View :
>
> http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.940734,-1.140834&spn=0.003246,0.009645&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=52.940734,-1.140834&panoid=nqz0Qta4kazDIF3Ok2sN4w&cbp=12,324.6,,0,0.8
> <http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.940734,-1.140834&spn=0.003246,0.009645&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=52.940734,-1.140834&panoid=nqz0Qta4kazDIF3Ok2sN4w&cbp=12,324.6,,0,0.8>
>
> My aerial drawing : http://kjs.me.uk/3rdparty/osm/arkwrightwalk.png

First off, going on the streetview, I wouldn't say the road with reddish
colouring & 'cobblestones' (shown white on your sketch) is
pedestrian/cycle exclusive. It appears that vehicles, such as
deliveries, are allowed. I think there would be bollards if not.

Does the signpost give any clues?

Bit unsure about the blue bits. It seems there's no bollards so in
theory could a vehicle be allowed to cross it, albeit very slowly.  What
type of kerbs do these blue areas have.

Also if there's no a gap in the wall, how do you cycle through it?

Does the LCN have a number? If so tag it, preferably in a relation.

General mapping tip: You can go as detailed as you like - if it's
physical, you can map it (given time & patience).
Personally I don't tag pavements that are not separated from the road by
grass verge etc.

Cheers
Dave F.