[Talk-GB] What's the best way of mapping/tagging...

SK53 on OSM SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 2 19:27:55 BST 2011

On 02/04/2011 17:32, Richard Mann wrote:
> Sounds like a highway=living_street to me (but highway=pedestrian would be fine)
>
> In general you need to tag the characteristics of the whole street if
> you can. Micro-mapping is a bonus, and you need to be careful not to
> make it unintelligable to the data user at the "whole-street" level
>
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Kev js1982<osm at kevswindells.eu>  wrote:
>> Cycling to work this week I have come across a more direct way to town, but
>> also a road which I am not sure how to map properly in OSM.
>>
>> At the moment the whole street is mapped as highway=pedestrial with lcn=yes
>> - but in reality it's not that simple.
>>
>> The road used to be the main road into the city centre from Trent Bridge but
>> has now been pedestrianised (the following images might help you understand
>> my comments)
>>
>> Google Street View :
>>
>> http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.940734,-1.140834&spn=0.003246,0.009645&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=52.940734,-1.140834&panoid=nqz0Qta4kazDIF3Ok2sN4w&cbp=12,324.6,,0,0.8
>>
>> My aerial drawing : http://kjs.me.uk/3rdparty/osm/arkwrightwalk.png
>>
>> Basically the existing "sidewalks" are still in situ and the paving allows
>> you to see where the edges are likely to have been (see the red bars at
>> either side of my image) and then at various places along the road two of
>> the old lanes have been paved over with a raised island of flagstones (see
>> the red blobs in the road) which effectively become an area for the local
>> kids to play football on and also walkway and the remaining two lanes have
>> become a cycle path (the white area) - but every 50 meters or so the islands
>> end on one side of the road and jump to the other-side of the road, and in
>> between the two islands the former four lanes of the road become a raised
>> sleeping policeman for about 5 meters (see the blue boxes) with the ramps
>> not being opposite one another (i.e. the ramp on one side is opposite the
>> pedestrian area on the other).
>>
>> How on earth do I map and tag this street properly? - is it just a case of
>> drawing a road though it with all the kinks being followed and the speed
>> humps being added as usual setting sidewalk=no, then making the pedestrian
>> islands highway=pedestrian, area=yes (with the trees and bollards also
>> mapped) and then adding the sidewalks as two extra walkways running in
>> parrall with links across going across the middle of the sleeping policeman
>> (the sleeping policeman seem to be placed where paths from the sides join
>> the road, presumably to allow pushchairs and wheelchairs to cross easily).
>>
>> Also the main road doesn't appear to have anything explicitly banning motor
>> vehicles either, although I've only seen two along the length of it (both
>> parked) - but the road is obviously laid out to discourage motor vehicle use
>> - should this be mapped in any way (this is a moot point really as the road
>> hits a (currently unmapped) wall before it permits motor vehicles again -
> [...]

We seem to be moving living_street away from what I understood to be
it's original intention: i.e., to mark areas with explicit signage as
well as a street architecture which does not provide obvious
discrimination between pedestrian & motor vehicle areas. In which case
we will need different tags to pick out 'Home Zones'. These are pretty
thin on the ground, but like average speed cameras appear to be popular
in Nottingham: at least two exist in the area at Kennington Road & Nobel
Road. This also diverges from what I understand is the prevalent usage
of this tag elsewhere.

I'd be pretty happy with Arkwright Walk as highway=pedestrian, which is
what it has looked like to me when I've visited it recently.
Motor-vehicle access is not straightforward (at least from the London
Road side, which is the only bit I've surveyed on the ground).
Obviously, that does not take care of the cyclists viewpoint. I'll have
to dig out some survey photos, although I tend to keep my camera in my
pocket or leave it at home when surveying in The Meadows.

In many ways I'm more interested in verifying that this is indeed called
Arkwright Walk and not Arkwright Street as claimed by OS Locator. The
latter name AFAIK has not applied for 30 years or approximately the last
time that Selectadisc had a shop there.

Jerry