[Talk-GB] Rebooting the NAPTAN import?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 10:28:08 BST 2011

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Jerry Clough : SK53 on OSM
<SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> c) The best approach would be to host current NaPTAN data in a location
> where OSM data can be compared & then mappers could choose to import it.
> Having an application which did this would be way more useful than
> shoehorning NaPTAN data in on its own.

Potlatch2 has the ability to read appropriately-preprocessed Vector
Background layers, which allows mappers to pick and choose which bits
of a datasource to "import" and where to simply copy tags over. It's a
promising approach to follow.

> You can see this where a NaPTAN stop & a previously mapped stop exist close
> together. An import will either sit in the database gathering dust, or it
> will impose a substantial workload on local mappers if they want to check
> it.

I've found this in swathes of south London - pairs of naptan and
non-naptan bus stops along major roads, suggesting that it's been
years of things not being fixed up before I noticed. I was quite
surprised to see that given that London is one of our most
actively-mapped areas!

Cheers,
Andy