[Talk-GB] Rebooting the NAPTAN import?

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Apr 4 12:23:22 BST 2011

On 4 April 2011 11:26, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:

> The trouble is, route_ref is directly marked on the ground.  The path
> followed by a bus in the correct order, although it is more useful
> information, is also harder to discover.  In the time it took to ride
> on a bus from Croydon to Crystal Palace, or wherever, I could map a
> hundred streets and other POIs.

In London we have, relatively speaking, many bus stops and few routes. So if
you're working a local area rather than a route, you can do a lot to help
with the harder task of getting bus stops right.

You can at least make sure it is located correctly, is marked as verified
and has the shelter tag.

If you're not all that interested in bus routes and don't want to spend a
long time tracking down the relations for the routes in question (either
because they don't exist in the database yet, or are partial routes covering
roads a long way away), I would think adding a route_ref tag is absolutely
fine.

I've come across a few of these when checking bus data in Peckham/East
Dulwich, and have used it to add some relations to bus stops. Back in the
day I also merged a couple of relations where people had started the same
route in different parts if London.

For those checking bus route validity, it would be nice to have a tool that
let you select a route and that would show all the members brightly
coloured, with all the bus stops along the route that aren't members also
clearly visible, and perhaps using route_ref to flag up any obvious
omissions.

Regards,
Tom