[Talk-GB] Rebooting the NAPTAN import?

Stuart Grimshaw stuart.grimshaw at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 19:36:20 BST 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:
> What we seem to be edging towards is a mixed tagging of route_ref and relations,
> being respectively the 'rough' and 'proper' way to tag bus routes, and the need
> for some lint-like tool to reconcile the two - at least as far as migrating data
> from route_ref to the ideal tagging.

The problem with tagging routes on a map is that they change s often.
We saw during Sheffield's Transport Hack Day this weekend when the
guys from our local travel authority showed us how bus routes don't
just change from month to month, they change depending on the time of
day!

Some routes stop after a certain time of day, or they follow a
different route at weekends. They follow a different route for 1
journey before or after school and they go to different stops because
of roadworks.

They publish 2 sets of data, 1 that includes all stops, and one that
includes only the stops that are currently in use, however whichever
set of data they use for their web based bus information, they get
complaints from various people.

To keep this information accurate you really would have to update it
automatically, and given OSM's nature and the work people have done
that might automatically be updated I'm not sure that would be an
achievable goal.